Monday, June 21, 2010

Vitacreme B12 Review

Despite all my love for The Body Shop's Vitamin E cream, I was getting a bit bored with the same old same old, so I whored myself off to Vitacreme B12 after seeing that Cosme-de had a "Buy 2 get $10 off" promo.


Ingredients list:


What they say:

Vitacreme B12 is the first cosmetic cream containing Vitamin B12, an essential component for healthy skin. With deep penetrating capability, Vitacreme B12 helps regenerate, nourish and moisturise your skin. 
Benefits of VITACREME B12
  • Stimulates renewal of skin cells
  • Hydrates and softens skin tissues 
  • Rejuvenates and improves skin elasticity and firmness
  • Revitalizes and diminishes age lines and existing wrinkles
  • Helps to prevent premature wrinkles
  • Repairs and rebalances the skin's natural defense system
  • Relieves and soothes chapped skin
  • Smoothes or attenuates new or old scars
  • Helps prevent peeling after a sunburn
  • Can be used as a day cream and/or cosmetic base
What I say:
Firstly, if you glance through the ingredients list, you'll see that corn oil is listed as the second ingredient. That struck me as a little odd because I've never really seen corn oil used in cosmetics before. A search on Cosmeticsdatabase showed that corn oil is ranked as a level 2 low hazard ingredient with cancer, toxicity, and reproductive toxicity as possible concerns.
In addition to corn oil, this product also contains preservatives, a fatty alcohol, parabens and salicylic acid in low amounts. If you are allergic or concerned about putting any of these chemicals onto your skin, you know what to do.
Ok, Chemistry lesson over, now onto what I like about this cream.
I've been using this cream as a day and night moisturiser for the past month, and at first I felt the cream was too greasy and heavy for use as a spring/summer day cream, but as I continued using it, I found that if I spend some time rubbing the cream into my face, it actually absorbs completely with no residue! Instead it leaves my skin very soft, smooth and moisturised.
I've also noticed that the dark marks from old acne marks and the redness from new acne marks have begun to fade! I haven't changed anything in my skin care regime, I still wash my face with Lush cleansers, and use a sheet mask twice a week, the only thing I've added was this cream, so the scar fading effect must be coming from this cream.
I don't know if I can comment as to its wrinkle busting claims because I don't really have any wrinkles (yet!). I have some underneath my eyes, but I don't know if they're real wrinkles or not cos they sometimes just disappear, like after I do a mask. But I haven't gotten any MORE wrinkles so does that mean it works? haha!
I don't use a face primer, so my foundation goes directly on top of this cream. By the end of the day, the foundation around my nose will be a bit patchy, but the rest of my face just looks a bit dewy, not oily. Also this cream seemed to have stopped my Studio Fix Fluid Foundation from oxidising - I remembered it oxidised like crazy last summer!
This cream does have quite a strong distinctive smell, it's not unpleasant, at least not to me, it's almost like a very heavy rose scent? After a month of use, I don't notice the smell much any more.
The one thing I really HATE about this product is the packaging - it comes in a metal tube, very much like an old toothpaste tube. I really don't like metal tubes, I find them hard to get product out of and feel that any moment the tube will leak T.T
I'm a bit OCD so I fold up the tube as I use it xD

The cream is pink!xD

Cream leaves no greasy residue once it's massaged into the skin.


Damage: 
US$28 to US$36 for 50ml. If you go to Cosme-de right now, you can get 2 tubes for $60.
Verdict:
Great for people with dry/combination skin. If you're okay with the ingredients, and willing to spend some time massaging in the cream, the results are really worth it. I love how it has faded my scars, and for that alone I'd repurchase!

On a personal note, and perhaps indirectly related to this post, I'm finding that I've been running around in public with with zero foundation on more and more. I still need to do my eyes, pat on a bit of cream blusher and slap on some lipgloss, but this is seriously a different routine to what I had say 1 year ago. I can honestly say that I feel different. I no longer feel like I have to hide my face from public. My skin is FAR from perfect, but it's the best its ever been and I'm quite happy with it xD. I guess only girls who have gone through bad skin all their life will be able to relate to my feelings.

11 comments:

  1. I always run around with no foundation on. I'm so lazy to wear foundation everyday because I wake up like 15 minutes before class starts (I do live a 5 minute walk away from school tho XD)

    Thanks for the tip about massaging it in! I never really thought of that, I just kinda let it sit... maybe thats why its not absorbing. I will try that next time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've been hesitant about this product, but with the $10 off incentive, that makes me want to try it :) Glad it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I've been interested in this product, but never really researched about it. My skin has been getting drier lately, so maybe I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've commented on your blog a few times but I don't think I mentioned that I was a new follower... I just recently found your blog :)

    Anyways, those wrinkles under your eyes probably aren't winkles if they disappear after a mask. Your under eye area is probably dry because I have the same issue. Once I put eye cream on it it disappears.

    As for the b12 cream, I have noticed that it made a difference in some wrinkles around my nose. Don't know what they're called but they go from the sides of my nose down towards my mouth. I had some small ones forming there from who knows what but now they're a lot less noticeable and not as deep :D

    Your face looks great. I'm still dealing with acne and trying to get it under control. If I had skin like yours I'd be overjoyed ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this. And the smell made me feel URGH. It probably wont bother others. The smell is just like my granny's hair oil and I find it overwhelming. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used this but stopped when I noticed a few breakouts. I get what you mean about the whole zero foundation thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used up a tube of this a few months ago and I have another tube waiting to be used because I liked the effect it had on my skin...but the rosy smell took a while for me to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to try this, but it's not cheap lol Thanks for the sale notification! I got a sample from a swap and I can't wait to try it out :)..i'm gonna try it on my neck wrinkles :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really good news. On a side note, not wearing foundation might help your skin even more because it allows the skin to breathe. I use foundation on special occasions only. On a daily basis I just sweep some loose powder over my face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the smell of this! but i kind of stop it for a while as i think its a little too rich for my skin abit of breakouts!...but i dun want to let it go! shall try it again soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heard so much about this cream. One day perhaps I will 'whore' myself over too =P

    ReplyDelete