Thursday, December 29, 2011

Barry M Croc Nail Effects

Tired of the whole crackle nail fad? I thought I was but then I saw this post by Vicky and was instantly seized by the lemming monster.
Instead of cracking vertically like most crackle polishes, the Barry M Croc Nail Effects creates a pattern reminiscent of a reptilian hide as it dries. A thin coat would give you the smaller "scales" you see in Vicky's post and a thicker coat will give you bigger scales. I guess this means if you want an ultra realistic pattern, you would do a thin coat on either sides of the nail and then a thicker coat along the crown of the nail.
Whilst crackle polishes tend to have the same consistency as cottage cheese, the Croc Effects polish is very thin and easy to control. It also dries glossy instead of matte.
The application process (dude, did I just call putting on nail polish an "application process?!) is also slightly different to applying a crackle polish. Crackle polish can only be applied to dry nails, but the Croc Effects polish must be applied to nails that are still slightly tacky in order for the pattern to develop. It takes a while for the pattern to finish developing so hold off that top coat for a few minutes.
I found that it worked best over polishes that are 1 coat opaque, metallics and frosts in particular create a really good contrast. For my NOTD I used Orly Rage - a beautiful rose gold metallic.
Barry M products are unfortunately not available in Canada but you can purchase the Croc Nail Effects for £3.99 from their online shop which ships internationally. Those in the UK can find it in Boots and Superdrug.


14 comments:

  1. Croc nails is so fitting for this crackle polish. Orly Rage is gorgeous by itself but it looks awesome under the Barry M Croc nail effects. Your lovely short nails reminds me that I need to shape me nails asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO love the effect that you created *goes and experiment* XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the croc effect - looks like a really expensive handbag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. That looks awesome .. even though im not a fan of crackle polishes.. this one looks cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know why but looking at the croc effect gives me the heebie-jeebies :/ But, its nice to have an alternative to crackle polishes for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your nails! Crackle polish is the coolest.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm...interesting. This is the first time I've seen the croc nails. It's def a nice alternative to the crackle though! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Haven't seen it in the shops though. :(
    http://lottie-loves-beauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. PINK!!!!! Right, need to try sparkly pink next!

    Funny, my post is about this tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm interesting effect. I'm not a fan of crackle myself, but this is a nice way to mix up that trend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you know about our Boots and Superdrugs! Pretty nails darling! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome - better then the crackle effect! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty~ I kinda like how this patterns out in comparison to the crackle.

    ReplyDelete